1) Gas Fireplace. Does the glass on your gas fireplace have white film?
- This is due to by-products of combustion and in most cases a good service will clean this up. Only use certified gas fireplace glass cleaner for this. A common window cleaner penetrates the glass and will leave a rainbow smudge or damage glass clarity.
2) Gas Fireplace. Black soot.
- Black soot inside fireplace or on outside vent is not a good sign at all. Accompanying this most often is yellow flame characteristics. A service is required by a trained professional to fix this.
3) Carbon Monoxide Alarm. A Must Have.
- A carbon monoxide alarm is a must have if any gas appliances installed within the home. Carbon monoxide or CO is a silent deadly killer.Models available at all local hardware stores in battery or 110 volt power. If it goes off DO NOT disconnect there is more than likely a problem!
- Ruud, Trane, and American Standard are among the more reliable natural gas furnace brands, whereas Goodman, Lennox, and Amana are among the less reliable brands. York, however, stands out as the least reliable brand and cannot be recommended by Consumer Reports at this t1me. That's what we found based on the feedback of 21 ,618 subscribers, who reported on their experiences with gas furnaces installed between 2011 and 2016. The following chart shows the estimated breakdown rates for gas furnace brands by the third year of ownership. Differences of fewer than 3 percentage points aren't meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and changes in design or manufacturer might affect reliability. Still, choosing a gas furnace from a more dependable brand can improve your odds of getting a reliable model.